Sunday, February 6, 2011

The girl smelling of honey and death

I was talking with my best friend about the things we find important in relationships, both platonic and romantic, and it got me thinking about one of the criteria we had in common.

I love talking about movies and television and music and books. I love being able to share with people why I love the things that I love, and what about them that speaks to me. I love listening to people talk about the things they love, the movies they're passionate about, the stories that resonate with them, and why. Often we're drawn to things for deeply personal reasons, as much as we might not want to admit it. Everything we watch or read or listen to is viewed through our own experiences. What may seem silly and frivolous to someone may be achingly poignant to another.

If I were a creator, an artist, I would hope that at least some of the thought, feeling and passion that I put into my work would reflect in it and allow someone to connect to it. I would hope that what I put out into the world could help someone else to understand themselves or someone they know better, or make them happier.

0 comments: